Sunday, October 18, 2009

mmmm...

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pie (Directly from the Prime Meridian cookbook)

1/3 cup cocoa
4 eggs, separated
1/3 all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 cups milk
1 8inch pie crust, Baked

Preheat oven to 350. In a saucepan, mix cocoa, flour, 1 cup sugar and salt. Add milk and egg yolks. Blend well. Add butter.

Over medium heat, cook stirring constantly, until thick. Add vanilla. I got a little worried/impatient at this part, but keep going. It will thicken up and it happens in less then a minute! Pour into crust.

Beat egg whites until fluffy. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until peaks form. Spread over pie. Mine never peaked, but I still poured it over the pie----still delicious. Next time I will be more patient and have peaks, because it would have been gorgeous!!

Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate.

I just ate the last piece this morning with my coffee. To me, it's as good as any restaurant's. And let me tell you....I know my chocolate!!

As a side note: The Prime Meridian is produced straight from my hometown, the queen city, Meridian, Mississippi. And it is like my cooking bible. Every household needs one.

No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS