Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Go Donate TODAY---I Did!!

Did you know..."fewer than 5% of those who are eligible to donate blood actually do."  Seriously, I was there donating and this made me feel guilty (for not giving everytime I'm able)! 

I'm in the middle of a personal project....which I do plan on sharing all the details....just not yet, but here's a glimpse!  I was checking out volunteer opportunities around Knoxville and it got me thinking....What is my passion?  I mean, it was kind of depressing.....I don't want to help out at a race, I like animals (but they're not my passion), homeless (I think some homeless people COULD get a job, but are lazy....obviously, not my passion with those thoughts). 

Donating blood wasn't included in my google search....but sitting in the chair today, I knew this was my answer (goes along with the whole nurse thing).  And I've actually known all this since I was little.  Growing up, Mississippi Blood Services was always calling our house asking for my Dad (he would donate all the time).  I remember him explaining to me that he had O neg blood (I was around 13 or 14) which meant anybody, no matter their blood type, could recieve his blood, hints the reason all the phone calls from MBS.  Well, from the moment of our conversation....I secretly began wishing that I too, had O negative blood. 

My first time to donate was in college, for extra credit in a class......about 2 weeks later I got my donor card in the mail with the GREAT news....I also have O neg blood (just like my dad)!  However,  today was only my 4th time ever to donate (I have tried one other time, but my iron was too low).  I know, what a waste. 

Along the same lines (and part of my passion), Organ Donation.  It is literally the ultimate gift of life.  I know this sounds cliche, but its true.  Do you think you will need your organs in heaven?  People are literally laying on their death bed...waiting.  Or sitting in a chair getting dialysis....waiting...  It's important to tell your family your wishes because even if you put it on your license, your family has the final say so when the ulitimate decision is made.

To people that are scared to donate BLOOD (if you're scared to donate your organs...you will need to arrange a meeting with your preacher or something :-)!!  Honestly, the worst part of the whole thing is the finger prick (where they check your iron).  My finger is still a little sore, my arm doesn't hurt at all.  The only other thing I would recommend...Don't donate if you plan on doing anything too physical (i.e. soccer game, running, bar hopping) in the next several days.  You will want to take it easy for at least a full day and drink lots of fluid.

What a small sacrafice....to help someone, for example, that has cancer on chemotherapy who is ALWAYS tired. Or a kid with sickle cell disease or leukemia that gets "stuck" ALL THE TIME.  You never know, it might be your Mom, sister, husband...that could need blood next.

PLEASE GO DONATE
Mississippi Blood Services (main branch)
Jackson, MS
601.981.3232

The Medic
Knoxville, TN
865.524.3074



Whew, again!!

No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS