Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This is going to sound crazy...


I wanted to give an update on "Cry it out" at the Hardin House...
It didn't so much go down :-)

Friday night, I. was. prepared.  I gave Hampton his last bottle and put him to bed, in his crib mind you, at about 10:15.  Never heard another word from him until he woke up at 6 the next morning.  Throughout the whole night I kept checking the monitor and he just kept on sleeping.

I was baffled!

Saturday and Sunday nights, he fussed a little when I put him down but ended up falling asleep for the whole night again...in his crib.  Sunday night I had to go in there once around 2am and just put my hands on him and he was back asleep.  But hey, I can handle that!

Monday night (the night before we have to go to work, mind you) he went to bed around 8ish.  Woke up at 11:30pm and did NOT go back to sleep until 5am....and he was craaannnky the whole time.  I am not exaggerating.  11:30 is when I tried to let him cry it out for the first time and I only lasted 30 whole minutes.  It was miserable.  This is where I should have just held strong....

BUT I aborted the plan and went in and picked him up....his eyes were as big as saucers and he was doing that pitiful breathing thing after you cry really hard.  Do you know what I'm talking about?  Oh, I felt terrible and vowed not to try that again.  Which I know I will if I have to!  Anyways, Hampton decided to take his revenge and not go back to sleep for the entire night.  Lovely.

Brent and I think by letting him cry that long (and not long enough) he worked himself wide ass awake.  So, I laughed at Brent the other night because when we heard Hampton start to fuss on the monitor Brent says, "you better go get him quick."  This is because, if you get to him early enough, before he has time to start flailing and really wake up...you can put your hands on him and give him some good shhh's and he will go right back to sleep!  Yes, I totally know we are being manipulating by a 5 month old....we are in trouble!

Last night, slept the whole night.

So, I racked my brain trying to figure out why some nights are better than others and I finally figured it out.  And I know this is going to sound crazy....but its his pajamas.  For the whole week that he slept awful and again on Monday night he was wearing two-piece pj's (for the first time)...that are adorable of course.  Last night, we went back to the old trusty one-piece-footed pj's and like I said, he slept the whole night.

So, tonight he is in his good ole trusted footie pj's and we'll see what happens.

**I also took him to the doctor this morning just to make sure he didn't have anything else going on besides teething...like an ear infection or something.  He doesn't, just the damn little toofees!  We did get a steroid cream for the eczema on his little cheeks.  He weighed 16lbs 5oz.



This was in Chattanooga....taking his morning snooze.  Just thought I would add it...I love a picture of a sleeping baby especially in a big bed :-)

**Update: 9:20am.  Hampton slept through the night, 9pm-7am.  I'm standing behind my theory...It's all in the pajamas.

1 comment:

Robyn Doiron said...

I love the two piece pj's because they are so cute but my girls pee out of them so we can't do them either! Maybe he gets drafty, lol. Liam is now three and the two-piece is all we use with him but not until recently. Do what works girl :)

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS