Monday, December 10, 2012

Traditions

Santa Claus
Riding around to see Christmas Lights in our PJS
Leaving Cookies and Milk for Santa
Reindeer Food
Visits to the Christmas Tree Farm
Colored lights on the tree
Opening one gift on Christmas Eve
UNWRAPPED gifts left from Santa
Picture with Santa Clause
Christmas Eve Church Service
Driving around delivering gifts to friends and neighbors.
Family and Cousin Time

I'm so excited to continue traditions from mine and Brent's childhoods and also add our own family traditions.  

A new tradition I hope to have started this year was Operation Christmas Child--where you fill up a shoebox for a little girl or boy to be sent to another country.  I thought this would be a tradition that all of our kids could grow into and with. 



We chose a little boy age 2-4.  Some things we included:  crayons, balls, matchbox cars, glow sticks, slinky, toothpaste/brush, notepads, socks, suckers and gum.  Next year we will choose a little boy and little girl (I did donate money for one in Anne Lowry's honor this year, but couldn't get it together enough to do two boxes because of the meltdowns that happened shortly after walking into Target :-)


 Here is our packed box.  All was well until Hampton spotted the suckers.  I tried to explain that the suckers were not for him but for a little boy across the world that did not have suckers.  


As you can see, this fell on deaf ears.

I went on to explain that God asks that we be JOYFUL givers.....then I let him have a sucker .  It made for a little more joy in his heart.


I'll consider it a little seed planted in his heart.


Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV)

I'm so excited for my children to experience the joy and wonder of the Christmas season but more importantly to understand the reason we celebrate.  




1 comment:

Ashley Taylor said...

Stopping by from Kelly's! I love your shoebox tradition and that you are already getting your little one involved! I think it is so important to raise charitable and compassionate children. We have a tradition to sponsor a child each year via a friend who runs a youth center and our little girl this year was 2 years old living with her 82 year old great grandmother!! It fills me with such joy to be able to ensure that she has a good Christmas! (Ps I snooped around your blog and your little ones are too cute! )

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS